- BURNOUT PREVENTION AND RECOVERY TECHNIQUES
- Health Tips for the 90s and Their Microsoft Counterparts
- 1. STOP DENYING
- Listen to the wisdom of your body. Begin to freely admit the
- and pressures which have manifested physically, mentally,
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Work until the physical pain forces you
- 2. AVOID ISOLATION
- Don't do everything alone! Develop or renew intimacies with
- and loved ones. Closeness not only brings new insights, but
- anathema to agitation and depression.
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Shut your office door and lock it from the
- no one will distract you. They're just trying to hurt
- 3. CHANGE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES
- If your job, your relationships, a situation, or a person is
- you under, try to alter your circumstances or, if necessary,
- MICROSOFT VIEW: If you feel something is dragging you down,
- these thoughts. This is a weakness. Drink more coffee. (It's
- 4. DIMINISH INTENSITY IN YOUR LIFE
- Pinpoint those areas or aspects which summon up the most
- intensity and work toward alleviating that pressure.
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Increase intensity. Maximum intensity =
- productivity. If you find yourself relaxed and with your
- wandering, you are probably having a detrimental effect on the
- 5. STOP OVERNURTURING
- If you routinely take on other people's problems and
- learn to gracefully disengage. Try to get some nurturing for
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Always attempt to do everything. You ARE
- for it all. Perhaps you haven't thoroughly read your job
- 6. LEARN TO SAY "NO"
- You'll help diminish intensity by speaking up for yourself.
- refusing additional requests or demands on your time or
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Never say no to anything. It shows weakness
- the stock price. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
- 7. BEGIN TO BACK OFF AND DETACH
- Learn to delegate, not only at work, but also at home and
- friends. In this case, detachment means rescuing yourself
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Delegating is a sign of weakness. Let someone
- it (see #5).
- 8. REASSESS YOUR VALUES
- Try to sort out the meaningful values from the temporary and
- the essential from the nonessential. You'll conserve energy
- and begin to feel more centered.
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Stop thinking about your own problems. This
- selfish. If your values change, we will make an announcement
- company meeting. Until then, if someone calls you and
- priorities, tell them that you are unable to comment on this
- them the number for Microsoft Marketing. It will be taken care
- 9. LEARN TO PACE YOURSELF
- Try to take life in moderation. You only have so much
- available. Ascertain what is wanted and needed in your life,
- begin to balance work with love, pleasure, and
- MICROSOFT VIEW: A balanced life is a myth perpetuated by the
- Marketing Team. Don't be a fool: the only thing that matters
- and productivity.
- 10. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY
- Don't skip meals, abuse yourself with rigid diets, disregard
- for sleep, or break doctor appointments. Take care of
- MICROSOFT VIEW: Your body serves your mind, your mind serves
- company. Push the mind and the body will follow. Drink
- (It's free.)
- 11. DIMINISH WORRY AND ANXIETY
- Try to keep superstitious worrying to a minimumóit
- You'll have a better grip on your situation if you spend less
- worrying and more time taking care of your real needs.
- MICROSOFT VIEW: If you're not worrying about work, you must
- very committed to it. We'll find someone who is.
- 12. KEEP YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR
- Begin to bring joy and happy moments into your life. Very few
- suffer burnout when they're having fun.
- MICROSOFT VIEW: So, you think your work is funny? We'll
- with your manager on Friday. At 7:00 pm.